Teller County Catholic Community
Our Lady of the Woods
116 South West Street
Po Box 5590
Woodland Park, CO 80863
This parish community began in July 1954, with Fr. Michael Kavanagh. Mass was celebrated in various locations and homes. The church was built in 1955 and the rectory completed in 1967. This Catholic Community in Teller County has three parishes of Our Lady of the woods in Woodland Park, St. Peter in Cripple Creek and St. Victor in Victor, but continues to support each small and friendly faith community. The church's active social ministry helps both parishioners and non-parishioners with needs such as food, transportation, home visitation and a variety of services.
318 3rd St.
Cripple Creek, CO 80813
In 1892, Archbishop N.C. Matz of Denver sent Cripple Creek its first resident priest, Fr. T. Volpe, who selected the highest hill in town for the church. The foundation stone was laid in 1897. A school located on the lot closest to the church was opened in 1901, under the charge of the Sisters of Mercy.
130 South 2nd Street
Victor, CO 80813
Fr. Edward Downey was named the first priest to St. Victor in 1894 and remained there 21 years. The church was completed in 1903. Like Cripple Creek, Victor also experienced a decline in the early 1900's lasting through the 1920's. Even so, in 1994 St. Victor celebrated its 100th anniversary.